Late 1950s Couture Silk Party Dress by “Galanos”
An extremely special piece in the most glorious shade! A true treasure, this custom made couture 1950s deep glowing purple silk peau de soie party dress by “Galanos!” Galanos was one of America’s most well respected couturiers.
Small back metal zipper, these types of zippers were synonymous with couture from this time. The zipper is sewn in completely by hand.
- Bodice is fully lined by hand in iridescent lilac silk, the skirt is fully lined in royal purple silk organza with a built-in crinoline that has an extra ruffle around the entire top of the skirt on the inside to add extra fullness.
- The bodice has a rounded princess seams and a deep V plunging neckline
- 3/4 length wide sleeves with sewn in weights to the cuffs
- The under layer of the skirt has sewn in weights as well around the waistline that hang down. My guess is these weights assure that the bodice lays properly
- Nipped defined waist that dips down and rounds in the back
- Extremely full skirt, almost a complete circle, with intricate pleating around the entire top
- Total quintessential 1950s silhouette, my guess is this piece is probably from the late 1950s
- Hand detailing throughout, definitely a custom-made piece.
- A rare piece of 1950s designer party attire that will only increase in value over time
Materials: Silk peau de soie, silk organza, silk
Size: Medium, accommodating a 36 inch bust, a 30 inch waist, free hips, and 41 inches total length. 8 inches of extra fabric in the hem.